The St. Vincent de Paul Society is proud to be a volunteer-driven organization. We depend on capable volunteers to assist us with delivering critical services to the people who come to us for help.
Why are volunteers important?
- We serve more than 500 meals every day of the year
- Handle about 50 requests per week at our homeless prevention Crisis Help Line
- And assist more than 75 homeless clients each week at our Housing Help Desk.
Step 1: Fill out our online Volunteer Application
Step 2: You will be notified via email about the next weekly volunteer orientation session(s) available. Orientation provides more information about our services as well as the various volunteer positions and you’ll learn how you can schedule your time online.
Volunteers are welcome in our Free Dining Room from 6:30am-1:30pm, seven days per week; and in our administrative offices upstairs from 9am-3 pm from M-F.
The best public parking garage is located on the corner of 3rd and B Streets. We strongly suggest that you park in this garage, because it is easy to forget about a parking meter while volunteering and can result in a costly parking ticket. Metered parking is available, but is limited to 2-hours. Free 4-hour on-street parking is located nearby, if you drive past Safeway on B Street to the Albert Park area.
1. All volunteers must sign in and out each day to comply with our record keeping requirements.
2. Volunteers are subject to the same rules of conduct and confidentiality which apply to paid staff, including those that apply to non-discrimination, sexual harassment and a hostile work environment. We require all volunteers to act in a responsible and professional manner when providing services to our clients.
3. While we encourage you to be a compassionate listener, agency rules do not allow staff members or volunteers to give cash or other material aid to our clients. Staff members and volunteers are also prohibited from giving clients a place to stay, even for one night. Instead, staff members and volunteers are trained to help guide guests to the appropriate resources available to them that will ensure they receive the best long-term solution that is possible.